Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Awesome book

I just finished reading a book about what it means to be an artist, and how to be one. I make fun of my interest in being an artist, even in the name of my blog. The truth is I want to create or do something that has lasting appeal, lasting beauty. That strikes a cord with the viewer. I don't know how many of my images have done that or ever will. But deep down, that's what I'm shooting for.
The book helped me understand more about that and is highly motivational, at least for me. This is one I'll be re-reading again.
The book is called:

Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity

If you think you're at all interested in being a Creative type, you pretty much need to read this book.
The good news is if you go to his website, you can read a signficant portion of the book for free online. Then you'll figure out if you want to read the rest of it. The bad news is, the author does cartoons on the back of business cards. Many of them use potty language. It didn't bother me. I can take it, and in fact I tend to dish it out unless there are women present. Even that's fading, sadly. I really need to work on that. If it bothers you, then this book isn't for you. In the interest of full disclosure, if you decide to use the link above and buy the book, I get a kick back. I still say you should get the book.
I like the book and Gapingvoid.com enough to put a link to his cartoons on my blog! I did put a filter on it so that no cards come up with adult language.

No comments: